Sunday, November 3, 2013

Potential Concentration Ideas

  For my concentration i've thought of doing more projects related to scales, as the technique i used in my mask project. I like the scaly texture and the repetitive patterns, they can show flowing motion and they are characteristic elements. Besides the leaf shape i used on my mask, i can cut other shapes of scales and put them in different patterns.
  I have to think about more themes, though. So far i have mermaids, fish, snakes, and monsters. Literally, scales can grow from anything, the objects don't necessarily have to be sea creatures, i can also make hand-shape sculptures and add scales on them. If my chameleon doesn't turn out so well with the paint, maybe it will look better with scale outfits.
  I saw the creative sculptures made of pencils and toothpicks on the collegeboard portfolios, and what really grabbed my attention was the quantity of those little components. I was fascinated by  how the artist transformed daily-life materials to art pieces that work together so well, and now i saw the same potential in using scales. This weekend i checked out Blanca's blog of last year and i found an artist called Fenella Elms who also created repetitive sculptures. Instead of using materials in daily-life she made her own basic shapes with tokens made from ceramics. This gave me another inspiration - using different kinds of materials to construct my works.












I am still looking for more possibilities, i have had many kinds of materials, but i still need a central concept to build my projects on, otherwise they won't be concentration.

  The second idea for concentration is the nowadays problem of “using smartphones too much”. I want to convey the severity of this problem by depicting the figures that are ignorant of their surroundings. It can be sculptures in human figures, it can be phone-shape large scale constructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment